This week we formally announced our support for The Shaw Mind Foundation’s campaign calling for compulsory mental health education in schools across the UK.
Mental health has never been such an important topic and better education, help and support, is fundamentally what HealthUnlocked is about.
We believe that raising awareness around mental illness and ensuring everyone has access to support is absolutely fundamental and that by sharing more experiences and knowing how to support one another, we can break isolation and improve lives for millions of people.
Did you know that
- Around three children in every class suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder
- 75% of all mental health issues begin in adolescence and fewer than half of these people were treated appropriately at the time
- Nearly 80,000 children and young people suffer from severe depression
- Over 8,000 children aged under 10 years old suffer from severe depression
- The number of young people aged 15-16 with depression nearly doubled between the 1980s and the 2000s
These are just a few of the reasons we are backing this campaign.
We have just five days (Wednesday 3 May) to reach the required 100,000 signatures that would get it discussed by the UK government. We have 85,000 so far.